Tuesday, June 2, 2009

idiosyncrasies and impact.

this is my first blog as an R-rated movie seeing, year older than sixteen, not yet "legal" legal seventeen year old! i'll dedicate this blog to those who have touched me today. and no, not "touch" as in hug or anything like that. 
i think what made this birthday so especially memorable was how my loved ones showed my how memorable i am in their lives. i try not to name names in blogs, and i'll keep this tradition of mine in this write-up, too. so if i talk about you, you know who you are. (:
this day started off with a lovely little "heart" shaped card and a cute, creative crossword puzzle from one of the most amazing people i know. it was such an unusual gift that i didn't really know what to think of it at first. 
it wasn't until i got to my history class that i got to really look at it and appreciate its glory. this puzzle was all about me, so naturally i could solve it in a cinch. however, when people surrounding me walked by and stopped to try and solve it, they were stumped. this was when i realized what an incredible person my gifter was. some of the clues dealt with things that happened last year. some (actually, almost all) were inside jokes. and then there were the things that i had only stated once in the past. these clues were the ones that got to me the most. only one of the truest, most perceptive friend would pay attention to such nuances.. and i am eternally grateful to have this person in my life. 
i was also blessed with a splendid card made by another good, sometimes annoying, friend. when i opened it, i read the whole content without stopping. it may have been written in the span of 5 minutes (i don't know, though), but the words spoke out to me. they basically reviewed the little events that make our friendship so unique. even i couldn't remember some of those things right away. it was so cool how someone else found me interesting enough to keep in his memory. (:
when i got home, i was sprinkled with birthday cards from my small amount of family members. my sister was the first one to come up to me, holding a CD-shaped gift in her hand. i enthusiastically opened it to find the newest Green Day album. normally, a CD would not have such a strong influence on me, but this one meant a lot. this was the band i literally grew up listening to, and the one that i rediscovered along with my sister four years ago. i know for a fact that she picked this gift out by herself, and although she might not have been thinking of that connection when she bought it, i immediately felt closer to her when i opened it. 
my mom was next to bring a card to me, along with a white bakery box. assuming it was a cupcake, i opened the box, ready to thank her. to my surprise, it was actually an m&m cookie. (: i know this sounds totally random and impersonal, but this also meant tons to me. you see, i have been wanting this specific type of cookie for about 3 months, but i could never get my hands on one. i asked my mom a while ago if i could make a special trip to the bakery to get one, and was obviously denied. however, my wait was worth it. getting this cookie today was so meaningful because it showed how much my parents actually pay attention to me. hahaa. 
even now as i reflect back on these events today, i still find it amazing that these people know so much about me without me having to announce my beliefs and interests and weirdness to the whole world. i can't get over the fact that i've made an impact, no matter how small, on the lives of others. i never thought that boring, selfish, unintelligent, uncoordinated me could be capable of something like that. 
to those who contributed to my day and kept me in their hearts this whole time, i offer you my everlasting gratitude. thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment