Sunday, May 10, 2009

spontaneity.

last night was literally one of the best ones i've had since school started. there is only one thing to blame for such a rare occurrence in my life: the lack of a plan
to kick off the night i went to a taiko concert to embrace my culture even more. haha. it was quite interesting, considering the amount of energy the performers had and the lack of enthusiasm the audience showed. i did enjoy it, though. (:
when i got home from the concert, it was about 10-ish. i actually planned on spending the night in and watching tv, but a last minute change of plans made everything much more exciting. we decided to go see star trek as a little spur-of-the-moment adventure in alhambra. as we approached the theater, i could feel my energy level picking up. seeing everybody out-and-about made me eager to be a part of the whole scene. the line we had to stand in to enter the theater made me even more ecstatic. i, being a bit of a skeptic, was expecting to see a mob of nerds with their spock ears and outfits waiting. however, i was greeted by a string of pleasant surprises. not one of the boys (and they were ALL guys) that surrounded me resembled a trekkie in any way whatsoever. in fact, there were a few cute, smiling faces in the crowd. from this point on, i knew the night was promising. (;
after the movie, which was my favorite of the year, we left the theater and hit up a local mcdonalds to get some food. even this small little event that helped comprise the night made an impact on me. i mean, it was 1 am and we were on the road, just cruising for whatever came our way. it sounds really lame, right? but it meant a great deal to me. this sense of being free from plans, schedules, and restrictions was something that i almost never get to experience. 
as we pulled up into the driveway at home, i took my tiny adventure even further when i decided to make dinosaur-shaped muffins! at this point, i just didn't want my lame-but-perfect night end. it took me a good hour and a half to finish, and i felt quite accomplished afterwards. i then watched the ever-so-talented justin timberlake host SNL as i drifted off to sleep at 4-ish.
i know my eventful night may have seemed a bit bland and nerdy, but it's definitely one that will remain in my memory forever. i think the whole beauty of the night revolved around spontaneity. those people who experience such a liberating thing often in their lives are the most fortunate, in my opinion. my whole life is scheduled to a point where nothing is really that exciting. to be able to break away from responsibilities and boundaries was the most exhilarating feeling ever

No comments:

Post a Comment