Wednesday, August 12, 2009

subject to inspiration

i'm easily influenced. it's obvious, and you'll see why it drives me crazy. (if you haven't already.)
i've been to three very notable concerts and watched tons of dancing on tv within the past month. i'm not sure if it's because my love for different mediums of art or my love for the performers, but every time a concert or event ends, i find myself slightly more obsessed with the artists.. but more importantly.. i am always full of inspiration after things like this. 
this past weekend were the JB and honor society concerts, and i haven't been able to stop listening to their music since. joe's command of the stage, nick's gift for songwriting, kevin's shining personality, and honor society's exuberance while performing had such a huge impact on me. i know for a fact that i'm not much of a songwriter or a singer, but something about watching these amazing people perform flawlessly on stage gives me a little spark of hope. these artists drove me to attempt what they do every night for their adoring fans. (but unfortunately, they couldn't provide me with any talent.) 
even watching performances on television drives me to TRY to achieve the unachievable. watching the season finale of "so you think you can dance" and the season premiere of "america's best dance crew" made me want to stop watching and just get up and dance. from (first place sytycd winner) jeanine's beautiful contemporary solo to the hard-hitting hip-hop crew performances, each routine i watched impacted me in a different way. obviously, i lack training, skill, and coordination, but nevertheless, i wanted to try. (and i did. and i kind of failed.) 
art isn't the only thing that serves as my inspiration, either. for instance, after the demi lovato and david archuleta concert, i suddenly found myself just wanting to be a better, nicer person. seeing david's gratefulness led me to watch his youtube videos and read his oh-so-sweet blogs. it was his compassion for his fans and his good heart that drove me to look out for others and just be a "nice girl," as the wong fu nice guys would put it. (:
and again, i'm not sure why these events drive me to want to write songs, dance, or even become a nicer person. sometimes i feel like there's something wrong with me; like being subject to vast amounts of inspiration is a curse because it gives me false senses of hope. but then i think to myself: how is this a bad thing? it could lead me to something that i love and am truly good at. sure, i may not be a b-girl or rock star, but maybe i haven't come across that "aha!" moment that leads me to my true passion. for now, i'll continue to do these things that i'm compelled to try. what i do may be a little extreme, but i couldn't stop even if i wanted to. if you take away anything from this post, let these words follow you: open your mind to inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment